06 April 2012

Easter Bunny & Chick Cookies

I hope you all are gearing up for the holiday weekend. Bunny Hops, Egg Hunts and Easter Baskets. :) I do hope everyone has a great Easter. And hopefully the Easter Bunny leaves you good stuff!

Today I'm switching my usual scrappy schedule to share some easter treats I made. These are fairly easy to do and I think they turned out kinda cute. Although Jeff says they don't really look like chicks. Thanks for raining on my parade! And to think, I was so proud. Eh, what does he know?!


So there they are, some cute little chocolate covered cookies. And I am by no means talented in the kitchen. These are fairly easy - so keep reading for a quick tutorial on how to make them.

First of all, gather up your supplies...
you'll need:
Oreos (or the lovely generic Creme-O's)
White Chocolate (or similar)
M&M mini's
Brach's Pastel Candy Corn
Lollipop Sticks & Bags (of which I will discover are entirely too small)

And most importantly, somewhere to place the coated cookies to dry. I used a cookie sheet lined with my silicone baking sheet. I love that thing for candies, they just pop right off.


If you are anything like me, after you have opened the package of cookies you'll want to eat them. I curb this by pulling out *only* the ones I am going to use and put the rest in the cookie jar. I can't help that I ate one between getting them out of the package and into the cookie jar, I chew fast. If somebody dared me, I could probably fit more than one in my mouth.

Now that we have the excess cookies out of the way, gather up some pieces of pink candy corn. Take a knife and cut off the pink end like such... feel free to eat the tops of the candy corn as you cut it. Then remember you wanted to take a picture. Oops. You didn't notice, did you?!


While you are doing this, you can have your chocolate melting. Use your desired method (check the package if you are new to this). I use the double boiler method. I have a pot and metal bowl that fit together perfectly.



While you are waiting, decide to eat some yogurt. Only to have the 15 month old walk up and say "num num" and not leave until you give her at least half. Guess she likes Chobani.


Be sure to break occasionally and stir your chocolate. Once it starts to melt, dip the end of your lollipop stick in and wedge it into the cream filling of the cookie.


Feed your inner OCD self and line them up.


Now comes the fun stuff. Using whatever method you wish, coat the cookies with your melted chocolate.

Given this image you'd think that I can just dip them, right?! Nope. For some unknown reason I *FAIL* at dipping things. And not just a small fail. I'm talking epic fail - cookie falling apart and crumbling in the bowl kind of fail. So, I take my spoon and bring the chocolate to the cookie. So Much Easier! I can give it a nice, even coating and it looks so much better. This reminded me why I no longer make chocolate covered peanut butter crackers at the holidays.

From there, add your mini M&M's for the eyes, the cut candy corn for the nose and some extra candy corn for the ears. And now you've created your sickeningly sweet Easter Bunny cookie on a stick. Cause everything is better on a stick!! And if you want to go the extra mile, by all means add a mouth and whiskers. I'm sure somebody can show me up on their designing.


The chicks come next. Add some yellow food coloring to your chocolate and stir it in well. Keep adding it in until you get the color you desire.


About this time you should realize that your 15 month old is quiet and you probably should look for her. Then you discover she has taken about half of the dish towels out of the cabinet and made a nice little 'couch' for herself.


Proceed to finish up your chicks in the same manner. Use mini M&M's for the eyes and nose (I turned the nose sideways). I don't suggest green eyes, it makes it look more like a zombie chick. Put your cookies in the fridge to harden and you are done! Package them up and serve them to your little ones!


Have a wonderful Easter weekend!

1 comment:

Rita Barakat said...

What a fun tutorial! And of course she loves it - this is such a fun age, when them getting into things is no big deal!