20 January 2007

*** Addict ***

and I'm an addict.
As easy as that sounds to say, it's really hard. I'm addicted to a ton of things (biting my nails, chapstick, scrapbooking), but one in particular sticks out. Sadly enough, I'm addicted to mountain dew, it's my crack. For almost 14 years, I've had a mountain dew by my side and if I didn't, I would go out and get one.
It all started when I turned 16. I would stop at the store where my boyfriend was working and get a mountain dew and a snickers bar after school. Then I would go to work and drink more mountain dew from the fountain drink machine.
There was a point in my early 20's when it was really bad. I would drink 4 or 5 of the 20 oz bottles while I was at work and then drink more in can format when I got home from work. When I got married, I started drinking 2 liters and could easily guzzle one of those in 1/2 a day or so. Visiting my Gram in NY, I would run out to the grocery store and buy a 6 pack of bottles just so I could have some.
I've overdosed on caffeine twice in my adult life (I didn't even know that was possible). The doctors have been trying to get me to stop drinking caffeine for almost 10 years.
"It's not good for the Crohn's Disease"
Well folks, as petty as this may seem to some... it has plagued me for many a year. When I came home from CCA in Georgia this past weekend, I returned with a 6 pack of 8 oz cans. There was no 2 liter at my house and it has been all I can do to NOT go buy one.
I am proud to announce that I have 2 of the 8 oz cans left and the only 20 oz bottle I bought was on Monday and I didn't drink 1/2 of it. Personally, I think they changed the recipe on me because all of a sudden it doesn't taste the same to me.
Maybe it's God's intervention (thanks!), maybe it's the fact I'm about to turn 30 and I believe if I don't change now, it won't happen. Whatever the case, I am so proud!! I seem to have broken the habbit! Now, if I can keep it up for more than a week... that will be the ultimate test!

No comments: